Monday, August 9, 2010

Misty's Story

Misty's dad, Greg, sent us her story. Read on for her amazing and wonderful story of being rescued and the special bond they share...

5 years ago in March, I finally bought a house. I always knew when I got my own house, I would get a dog. Misty came to me through the Humane Society of Charlotte via petfinder.com.  I have had mutts all my life as I don't care much about the dog's breed but knew I wanted a female between 60 - 80 pounds in size. She was 10 months old when we found each other in May 2005 with the last 4 months at HSC. So I do not know what her 1st 6 months of life were like. I saw her picture on the petfinder.com website & knew I had to go meet this girl.

Lets just say a 1st impression is not 1 of Misty's strong points. She is barking & lunging at the fence of her kennel as I stare in at her. The kennel worker hands me some treats & suggest I stand with my back towards Misty & give them to her. This calmed her down enough that we got some one on one time in a fenced off area. Misty responded okay to me as long as I had treats to share but she was also 'blowing me off' at times. Every time a HSC employee/volunteer walked by, I no longer existed in Misty's mind; she would walk to the end of the fence & watch those she trusted/knew for as long as she could.

4 days later I am back at HSC & when I am handed the leash, Misty puts the breaks on & isn't going anywhere. An HSC employee/volunteer had to take her to my car for me. And so the training begins, not only for Misty but also the new proud caretaker of a good but skittish dog. After 4 hours of being home, we go out for a potty break. Something scares Misty & she pulls out of her collar & starts running away luckily into an area with fencing on 3 sides. I go back inside & come out with a squeaky toy. Next thing I know Misty is curious, jumps on the hood of my car & while trying to climb the windshield, she starts slipping. That is my chance so I grab her & bring her inside. That was probably the worst that has happened.

After a few months, I am thinking I have 1 of the best behaved dogs. Misty is starting to trust me & very quick to learn tricks & obedience commands. She is not a lap dog but humors me when I ask her to lay beside me when I am sitting on the couch. After a year, Misty finally jumps up on the couch on her own. She seems to want to be scratched & loved on. After 2 years, she is finally 'asking' to be loved on more frequently. Misty really opened my eyes to how long it can take for a dog's true behavior to come through.

Her desire to please those she trusts is just so amazing as well as her desire for peace & harmony. She knows when I am upset or angry. She sits beside me & starts pawing at my arm/hand. I don't know if the petting is to calm Misty down or if it is to calm me down. But we both seem to be happy when she does it & I start petting. I would be totally lost without Misty in my life.
Do you want your pup featured in their own blog? Send your dog's story to Kelly and we will get it posted! Can't wait to read all about your pups' story!!

No comments:

Post a Comment